As another pub closes in Rothwell I started thinking those which have come and gone over the years. Many of you Rowellians will remember some and can reminisce about your time in them but for those who don’t know here is a list. It starts in Kettering Road (opposite Fox Street) and goes round to Bell Hill.
- The New Inn (Formerly The Crown and Boot and now flats) Kettering Rd
- The Rowell Charter (Formerly The Sun Inn) Sun Hill
- The Sexton (Formerly The Old Greyhound and now Toro) High Street
- The Crown Inn (Now S T Flooring) High Street
- The Bull’s Head (Now the site of The Old Bank) Junction of High St and Bridge St
- The Working Men’s Club (Now flats) Bridge Street
- Rothwell House Hotel (Formerly the vicarage) Bridge Street
- The Horse and Groom (Now the chemist) Bridge Street
- The Red Lion Market Hill
- The Rifle Band or Tin Hat Club (Now flats) Gladstone St
- The Conservative Club (Originally formed in a house in Crispin St) Market Hill
- The Chequers Inn (Now Tesco) Market Hill
- The Woolpack Inn Market Hill
- The Blue Bell (Formerly The Bell) Bell Hill
We also had the Coffee Tavern on Market Hill which was a tavern but didn’t sell beer. There were also Outdoor Beer Houses in Fox Street, New Street and Well Lane and one on Hobbs Hill which was built but never licensed. And to top it all we even had a small Brewery. It certainly wasn’t a dry town!